Monday, March 7, 2011

Chocolate ice cream

I got some more mileage out of my ice cream maker today with "lower fat" chocolate ice cream. There were several chocolate ice cream recipes in my book, but I figured I might as well start with the "lower" fat one first, so if I like it just fine, I won't know what I'm missing with the extra-evil stuff!

This version is a custard-style ice cream with two kinds of chocolate. You boil two cups of milk, then whisk in a quarter cup of chocolate powder. After it's incorporated, take it off the heat and whisk in two ounces of chocolate. I used semi-sweet baking squares. When those have melted, pour over two whisked eggs, then turn it all back into the pot and heat almost to a boil.

If you let it boil, the eggs will scramble. I don't just know this because I've made custards before or because the book tells me, but also because I almost boiled it this time. In fact, "almost" is probably the wrong term to use. I did, in fact, boil it, just a teensy bit. But I guess that's why they have you strain the mixture every time - gets those little bits of egg out of there!

After you've strained the scrambled eggs out of your custard, you mix in a teaspoon of vanilla and a can of sweetened condensed milk. So, let's say this mixture is lower in fat, because there's no cream, but probably not much lighter in calories.

I was a little disappointed that it didn't churn up as well as the banana chocolate chip did. Still, after a few hours in the freezer, it was pretty solid, but still really smooth.


This stuff was really amazing, actually. Really chocolatey. I have to physically restrain myself from eating the whole quart. This ice cream maker is getting really dangerous.

No comments: