Friday, April 8, 2011

Taco night #1: Hippie iteration

Dave and I are trying to save a little money over the month of April, so part of that includes cooking more meals at home, and cooking cheap meals at that. According to my schedules, Friday night is taco night, so I made some hippie-ass tacos with ingredients from my freezer and Fresh Picks box.

I took the following ingredients and tossed together with melted butter in my pan:
  • Heap of frozen corn (the last of my farmers' market haul in 2010)
  • 4 frozen jalapenos, chopped
  • Half a white onion, chopped
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 7 leaves Swiss chard, de-stemmed and chopped
  • Ground cayenne pepper
  • Ground cumin
  • Ground chili powder
  • Red pepper flakes
As you can tell, this was a spicy mix of happy things.


I heated some whole wheat tortillas and refried black beans, then spread the beans on the tortillas, filled with the taco stuff, then topped with sprouts and salsa.

See what I mean about the hippie thing? I'm sure no actual self-respecting Hispanic person would put sprouts in a taco, so I guess I should just call this some kind of spicy wrap. Still, I'm cleaning out my freezer and we're eating tons of veggies. Maybe next taco night we'll have chorizo & potato!

No comments: