Friday, July 22, 2011

Raspberry ice cream

I had a bunch of raspberries from my parents' house, and which I wasn't able to use up in jam-making, so I decided to make raspberry ice cream!

This one is a little odd. You make simple syrup with 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water - so a pretty heavy simple syrup - and pour the hot syrup into a blender with 3 egg yolks. This produced kind of a frothy yellowish mixture that appeared to cook the eggs a bit. Then you add 3/4 lb. raspberries, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 tbsp. lemon juice and pulse a few times until it's nice and smooth-ish. I used lime juice instead of lemon and it turned out just fine.

I didn't pour through a strainer, because I wanted the raspberry seeds and bits to be intact! But you can.

Mix with 2 cups half and half and you have a beautiful pinkish mixture:


This one turned out rather awesome, but I forgot to get a photo when we were enjoying it. I'm writing this post somewhat after the fact and including a picture from a later date: you can see it's nice and strong pink, and all of that flavor is from the raspberry puree.


Another hit, although honestly I'm not sure whether I like berries better in ice creams or sorbets. I guess I'll figure it out as the summer goes along!

No comments: