Thursday, August 18, 2011

Austrian potato salad

I know I've already done about a half dozen potato salads on this blog, but I've got a new one: this one from my CSA.

This was simple: boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, then allow to steam in the colander under a towel. Chop and mix with chopped celery, red onion, and pepper. The sauce is 4-5 tablespoons of mayo, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and 3 tablespoons of vinegar. The recipe also calls for salt, pepper, and dried parsley, but instead of the parsley (I don't keep it in the house), I used dried tarragon, dried thyme, and some celery seed.


I cut basil in a chiffonade style and sprinkled that over the potato salad before serving. It was a very vinegar-y and tangy potato salad, and I liked it a lot. The non-vegetarian version involves a half-pound of bacon and lots of bacon grease, but I decided that I love my circulatory system (and Dave's) too much to do that to myself right now.

AND, this thing was made with all local vegetables! CSA potatoes and celery, my mom's banana pepper, and farmers' market onion. Woo!

No comments: