Monday, February 27, 2012

Avocado & grapefruit salad

Dave and I are going to Next with friends in March, which will pretty much be both the longest and most expensive meal that we have ever had. Because he is worried that his palate is not sufficiently advanced, Dave asked me to come up with some dishes to "study" for the big day.  


I started to make a list of recipes with innovative ingredients or taste combinations.  I immediately thought of Ina's avocado and grapefruit salad, published in Barefoot in Paris.


First, mix the dressing together:  a combination of olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.  When you cut the avocados into thin slices, the idea is to dip each one into the dressing so they don't turn brown.

Then cut the pith from the grapefruit and slice out the segments, arranging them on the plate with more dressing.



This was delicious and definitely worth stepping out of my comfort zone to do.  You would think that the tart-sweet bite of the grapefruit and mellow smoothness of the avocado would clash, but they are actually fantastic together and round each other out.

We did this as a brunch-type item yesterday morning, and I added some Brie and crackers to round out the acidity of this salad.  Definitely tasty and something I would try again!

No comments: