Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pale ale

Dave and I brewed some more beer this week:  pale ale!


The process for this beer was more complex than the previous one we've done: hefeweizen.  The kit included liquid malt, powdered dry malt, and whole roasted barley that you had to use to make a "tea" before boiling the whole mixture.  Here's Dave with the tea bag of barley:



You boil the mixture, then let it ferment in a sanitized container for one week.  Unfortunately that meant that we had to bottle it today, which is the day that I had a knitting class all morning and Dave left for Ohio at 1 p.m.  So we siphoned it into the pouring tank before I left, he washed and sanitized the bottles, and then I bottled the beer when I got back.




I wasn't sure I'd have the arm strength for the capping, but it was no problem.  I am excited to try this one, although pale ales are not really my thing.  The hefeweizen was delicious, and I'd be happy if this one was equally good.  (And hopefully no bottles will explode, and it won't have been contaminated or anything.) 


After this, Dave and I are going to special order ingredients by the ounce to make a recipe from a Dogfish Head brewing book that we bought.  Dave wants to do the IPA, although I'd like to do one of the Belgian wits in the book.  There is a kiwi wit that sounds complex and fabulous.


Cheers!

No comments: