Monday, February 6, 2012

Green pork chili

I participated in a chili cook-off this weekend, and I decided to take a chance on an unusual chili recipe I noticed in the Tribune last week:  "Mean Green Pig" chili!


It is basically just pork and tomatillo salsa verde, which is surprisingly delicious.  Just brown the pork cubes, cook the onion and chilis, roast and puree the tomatillos, and cook for a few hours.  The pork starts falling apart and becomes very tender, and the chili peppers give it a nice kick.

In this photo you can see the cooked chili, which is more of a brownish color, at the point when I add in some completely uncooked tomatillo puree, which is bright green.





You serve with a little goat cheese and cilantro, which I thought was neat.  This went last but was one of the milder chilis, so to be honest, it just didn't taste that flavorful compared to the others.  My favorite of the day was a ground pork chili with beans.  Someone made a comment that my chili would be better over nacho chips or in a taco, which I totally agree with.

Anyway, I obviously lost, but it was still a neat recipe and I'm glad I tried it.  Next time I'll go for a more traditional red chili.

No comments: