Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A very tapas Valentine's Day

As regular readers know, I like to do an ethnic themed Valentine's Day every year.  This year, Ina's no muss, no fuss version of paella had me intrigued.  I paired it with bacon-wrapped dates, champagne, and a store-bought chocolate tea confection.  Sort of tapas-themed, except no flan.  (Sorry, I don't like flan.)


Bacon-Wrapped Dates


I used this recipe, except instead of blue cheese, I used Pecorino Romano cheese.  Simply slit the dates, pit them, and stuff them with cheese.  Wrap in bacon, close with a toothpick, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Flip and bake for another 20 minutes.




Oh yes.  I went there.  


Part of what really brought this dish over the edge was the "hunter's bacon" that I purchased.  It was a chunk of bacon, not sliced, and I hacked off thick slices of beautiful bacon.




Dave came home and smelled this, and I knew I had already made his Valentine's Day.


Paella


I have always wanted to make paella, but I'm mildly allergic to shrimp, so I avoid it.  This recipe uses lobster and kielbasa; as Ina says, what could be bad about that?


You cook onions in some olive oil, then add red pepper slices and garlic.  Then add the rice, stock, saffron, salt, and pepper, and cook for 30 minutes.  Ina says to do this in the oven, but I sort of accidentally did it on the stove.  Whoops.  But then you add the kielbasa, cooked lobster,  and peas, and the dish really comes together.




It was delicious, and we have lunch for days.  And that's good, because with lobster and saffron threads, this was a pretty expensive dish.


Dessert: "The Grey"


OK, I didn't make it this year; I bought a pastry from Vanille in the French Market. 




So shoot me.  This looked delicious.  It is called "The Grey," because it is a chocolate mousse infused with Earl Grey tea.  It was wonderful, and I love supporting local shops.  And everyone on the entire train was jealous of me.

Happy Valentine's Day to Dave,  my sweetie, and here's to many more years of ethnic food explorations.

No comments: