Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pasta with mushrooms

This is another one from the Wiseguy Cookbook, and he did not disappoint:  pasta with mixed mushrooms.  I just used porcini and portabella, but I'm sure it would be good with almost any kind of flavorful mushroom.


While the pasta water was getting to a boil, I cooked some onions in butter, then added the mushrooms when the onions were translucent.  After a few minutes, when the mushrooms have absorbed all the butter and the mixture seems dry, add garlic, chicken stock, and chopped parsley.

You cook this mixture for a few minutes, then add red wine or sherry.  He suggested Marsala, Medeira, or dry sherry, and I had none of those, but I do have a 2008 Triton Tempranillo that I thought would substitute nicely for the Marsala, especially with the earthy flavor of the Tempranillo complimenting the mushrooms.


Reduce that, and then add your cooked pasta (spaghetti or linguini).  Even after just tossing this for a second in the sauce, the noodles really absorbed the flavor.  Looking at it, I was wondering whether I had enough mushrooms / onions, but it was perfect.





I do need to explore more Italian wines, especially the reds (Chianti, Barolo, Marsala).  I got a book on wine that has really been an interesting (and informative!) read, the Food Lover's Guide to Wine.  


OK, I'm going to do that beer bread this weekend, even with the AC on.

No comments: