Monday, July 23, 2012

Caponata

Usually this Italian dish is made with eggplant, but my CSA recommended trying it with summer squash. 




Summer squash caponata

  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 summer squash, skin on and diced (I took the skin off)
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 tbsp. tomato paste, thinned with 1/4 cup water (I forgot to thin it)
  • 1 cup crushed canned tomatoes (I roughly chopped a fresh tomato instead)
  • 6 oz. green olives, pitted and roughly chopped (I used black)
  • 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup raisins, chopped (I omitted)
  • 3 tbsp. capers
  • 2 tbsp. sugar (I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded basil
  • 2 tbsp. pine nuts (I omitted)
Directions:
  1. Heat oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and onion and fry, tossing occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.  Add summer squash and raise heat a bit and cook until tender, but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
  2. Add tomato paste and tomatoes.  Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until caramelized and almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
  3. Stir in olives, vinegar, raisins, capers, and sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
  4. Transfer to a bowl and add basil and pine nuts.  Season with salt and pepper and let cool to room temperature before serving.  Serve on toasted baguette slices!
The recipe says that the caponata is best when made a day in advance, but I couldn't work that out with my schedule.  I specifically left out the raisins and sugar because I wanted this to be more savory than sweet.

No comments: