Monday, April 1, 2013

More things in mugs

This weekend I experimented with more mug cakes, as well as some delicious polenta and spinach for lunch.  It was a perfect way to use up spring vegetables, but keeping that warm comfort food feeling.

For lunch on Saturday, we had parmesan polenta, which is a recipe I cut out of the Trib a few weeks ago.  You heat milk, cream, and butter, then add in the polenta and cook until it is creamy and firm-ish.  I served them in adorable little cocottes.


The side is sauteed spinach.  I heat some garlic in sesame oil, then throw in bunches of spinach and cook down until they are nice and wilted.  I got some beautiful spinach from Fresh Picks, although it was pretty sandy and I had to wash it carefully!  It was worth it.

Next was another mug cake, this one the cinnamon roll in a mug.  Just look at this:


It was truly a transcendant experience.  I substituted apple butter for applesauce, which I figure is pretty much the same thing.  I think that the recipe made way too much frosting, but other than that I wouldn't change the recipe at all.  This is definitely going to be one that I make at work again and again.  

I also made up little baggies of the dry ingredients as Easter gifts for my mom and sister so that they could enjoy some, too!

No comments: