Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Chicken paprikash

I've been lax in cooking my way through The Science of Good Cooking, but I assure you I am continuing (at a very slow pace). 

Concept 8: Tough Cuts Like a Covered Pot
Recipe: Chicken Paprikash

This concept teaches us that braising meat in liquid keeps the temperature low and steady, which is great to tenderize tough cuts. Furthermore, cooking with the pot covered creates steam and ensures the retention of more liquid in the stew, creating a nice, thick sauce.

There were two pot roast recipes in this chapter, but the weather was getting warm when I made this and I wasn't in the mood for pot roast. I had made chicken paprikash from the Better Homes & Gardens binder cookbook a few years ago (wow, did I really serve it with spaghetti noodles?!), and I thought I'd make it again for this concept.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, but I can tell you that the chicken thighs broke down beautifully, there was indeed a thick sauce, and we served this delicious recipe with rice. I cooked this recipe a while ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Next time I'll get into more detail and take pictures, I promise. The next concept cooks meat in a covered pot WITHOUT liquid, so we'll see how that goes!

No comments: