Monday, November 3, 2008

Fond of fondue

And the countdown continues with number 2 - Beer-Cheese Fondue from BH&G Appetizers.

This fondue was simple enough to make and seemed to be a fairly classic version of fondue.

First, heat up some beer in a double boiler. We had a few beers on hand, but I used Goose Island Honker's Ale.

While that is warming, mix together shredded Swiss and American cheeses. (I couldn't find shredded American cheese, so I used cheddar.) You toss that with some cornstarch, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and a little hot sauce.


Then, toss the cheese mixture handful by handful into the beer. After a few short minutes, it should look creamy and smooth.


Unfortunately, my version was very, very stringy. Maybe it was because I used the cheddar cheese instead of American - I'm not sure. Either way, this was fairy difficult to eat, but I loved the flavor.

We ate it with a variety of dippers, including broccoli, carrots, crusty bread, and Triscuits. (My favorite dipper was the rosemary & olive oil Triscuits.)

I would make this fondue again, but I would probably shred some American cheese myself to see if it helped with the stringiness. If it didn't, I'm not sure I'd make it again after that. Either way, it definitely turned out better than my Brie fondue experiment earlier this year - yech.

No comments: