Sunday, November 2, 2008

Party sandwiches


Last night I made cocktail-style sandwiches for dinner: both recipes are from the Appetizers chapter of BH&G, and they are Egg Salad Sandwiches and Party Ham Sandwiches.

Both sandwiches are easy enough to make.

For the egg salad topping, just mix chopped eggs, chopped green onion, chopped olives, mayonnaise, and mustard. Spread and top with a sliced green olive:


How 1970s is that.

Plus, if you really like egg salad, I think this would be a good one; I have never had egg salad before and I liked it. The other good thing is that the texture of the olives and eggs is just about the same, so it blends really well.

For the deviled ham topping, mix a can of deviled ham, chopped celery, chopped dill pickle, and mayonnaise. This sandwich, unlike the egg salad one, is topped with a slice of bread and then frosted with a little bit of cream cheese.


The deviled ham was a little weird, but any package that has little devils dancing around on it is fantastic in my book.

The sandwiches were OK, but they are not really something I would think of first to serve at a dinner party. However, I do like the cocktail sandwich idea, and it's something I may serve at my martini & makeover party for charity later this month.

So that was number 4 and number 3 on the appetizer countdown! The last two are yet to come: Beer-Cheese Fondue and Party Crunch Mix (which I'm bagging up for a bake sale on election day).

No comments: