Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chocolate-Covered Snow Peaks

Today is my firm's holiday cookie exchange, and I made a recipe from Food Network's 12 Days of Cookies: Chocolate-Covered Snow Peaks.

Basically they are little meringue cookies that you dip in chocolate, and they are supposed to look like little mountains with snow on top. I thought the meringue recipe was the best one I've ever used. I have an old recipe for chocolate chip meringue cookies, and the meringue wasn't nearly so stiff as this one is. (I think the proportion of cream of tartar to egg whites is higher in this recipe.)


I also liked using a piping bag (read: Ziploc bag with hole cut in corner) to make the meringue shapes. They came out so perfect!

After baking the meringues on a low heat for about an hour, they were totally done, but they need to sit out in the oven all night to harden / dry. When that was done, they came off the sheets pretty easily, but still not easily enough for some:


Whoops. Some of them 'sploded when I tried to pop them off the sheet. Guess next time I'll have to actually use parchment paper like the recipe says.

After they have dried overnight, you melt some chocolate and dip the cookies in them. The recipe calls for dark chocolate, but I used mint milk chocolate for two reasons. Number one, I needed to use it up because I bought it in Hershey, Penn., this summer and I'm not sure how much longer the chocolate will last. Number two, it's really tough to think of recipes to use mint chocolate chips! I don't think they would taste right in regular chocolate cookies, but that is just me.

Anyway, I melted the chocolate in a double boiler and dipped the cookies this morning, and here's what they look like now:


I hope they liked them at work. I certainly enjoyed eating the mistakes (read: explosions). I also enjoy that now my kitchen smells like sugar and mint. Mmm.

2 comments:

L said...

I need to find mint chocolate chips! My grocery store frustrates me so much.

Valerie said...

They are delicious.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/bakingpieces.asp