Friday, December 12, 2008

Potato Bread

Oh potato bread. Delicious, delicious potato bread.

I was studying for my evidence final, and I decided I needed to indulge my baking hobby. I also knew I had all day at my disposal, so I figured I would make some bread. I checked out Better Homes & Gardens, and potato bread looked like a likely candidate.

Potato bread is kind of a strange bread. First, you start out by cutting up a potato and boiling it. In this case, I used a good old-fashioned Idaho potato.


Then, you mash up the potato in the water and combine with yeast, salt, sugar, shortening, and a ton of flour. I don't have a food thermometer, so I always have a little difficulty pinning down the temperature to an exact 110-115 degrees. However, I just test the water with my hand, and if it's a little warm, I'll stir in the yeast. That has never failed me yet!

Next, you mix all that together into a ball and allow to rise in a greased bowl.


Here is the same dough after one hour! You can see it has more than doubled in size.


Next, you have to punch the dough down and mix in even more flour. At this point you have six cups of flour and one potato. That's a lot of starch for the yeast to feast on, and they continue feasting and expanding the dough as it continues to rise.

After it's fully risen, you split it into two and bake in loaf pans. I sprinkled a little water and corn meal on top to give the crust more texture.


The bread was so soft and delicious! I have to say, it is one of the best breads I have ever tasted. Even though it was soft, it was very substantial. It's delicious on its own, or especially spread with real butter.

I can't wait to try more home-made BH&G bread recipes. It's so much fun to make bread, and I get my arm exercise in for the day with all the kneading.


We have been eating the bread for various meals over the last few days, but our first taste was as a vehicle for my spicy artichoke dip. Mmm.


At any rate, I would definitely make this bread again. It makes two loaves, so I'll have to make sure I can give the other away. (My extra loaf this time went to a law student study buddy of mine, who was happy to take it off my hands.) Let me know if there any takers for the next round. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: