Thursday, January 8, 2009

Apple Crostata

Tonight was Dave's birthday, but he got back from school really late, so I didn't do much for dinner. However, I couldn't not make him anything fancy, so I made him an apple crostata for dessert.

This is a special recipe from Ina Garten - I worship her and her recipes, so for her to say that it's her "favorite dessert ever" (in Barefoot Contessa Parties!), I had to try it.

The dough is a really buttery pastry crust that you have to chill. (I have half of the dough sitting in my freezer for another one anytime. Ina thinks ahead like that.)

The recpe says to cut up 1.5 pounds of apples, but I think this must be incorrect, because it was an absolutely insane amount of apples for a 9-inch crostata crust.


Oh yes, that's orange peel on there. Ina likes to put orange peel with apples because it gives the fruit an extremely fresh and sweet taste.

The apples go into the crust, you make a crumble for the top, and then bake:


Isn't this lovely? Here's a slice:


So it's sort of like a pie without the pie plate. I really liked it, but next time I would try to fit fewer apples in. (I think it should be 1.5 CUPS, in which case I tried to shove in way more than that, and I don't think they all cooked as mushy as they should have been.)

It's another home run for Ina - and I managed to impress the hubby on his birthday.

Because she's so fabulous, I decided to do an all-Ina Garten menu for Valentine's Day. Just wait for that post - it will be something special.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked this dessert, and it was huge, so we had several nights worth of desserts. I agree with Val, though, that a pound of apples would have been absolutely insane. As it was, I had to actively seek out crust, as the apples were everywhere.