Monday, January 12, 2009

Country French Omelette

I bought a carton of 18 eggs last week, so I had to figure out something to do with them. My solution: Ina Garten's Country French Omelet from her new cookbook, Back to Basics.

My mother in law got me this wonderful cookbook for Christmas because she knew I would love it, and I do. Only Ina could be so bold as to serve salami with cucumbers and call it an appetizer. Salami! Cucumbers! That's it! Sheesh.

The recipe is similar to a regular omelet but cooked differently. In olive oil, you separately sautee potatoes and bacon (I used Canadian for a healthier alternative), then add eggs and toss the whole pan in the oven. The result:


The omelet is cooked through perfectly without ever having to flip. The only downside is that the pan is (obviously) super hot when it gets out of the oven, but I'm not used to thinking of the handle of a stovetop pan as being that hot...so yeah. You can guess what happened.

Anyway the final result was good:


I cut the omelet in half and served with homemade banana bread and blueberries.

I've got a lot of Barefoot Contessa-related cooking plans for the next month or so. In fact, I've already set out the menu for Valentine's Day: an all-French Ina bonanza. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was amazing - I particularly liked the large potato pieces and the consistency of the eggs.

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks so good!
I made the same omelette yesterday morning, and the same thing happened with me and the pan handle.. ouch! but it really was delicious!