Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lentil Sausage Soup

Tonight we got back from a long holiday trip, so I wanted to do some cooking. Not only do I miss it, but I wanted to make something healthy (unlike all the not-so-healthy food we've been eating during the holidays).

I decided to make Ina Garten's Lentil Sausage Soup from her French cookbook, Barefoot in Paris. The ingredients are things I mostly had around the apartment, and I desperately wanted some vegetables and whole grains, which this recipe has in abundance.

The soup was good, but three cups each of onions, leeks, celery, and carrots took forever to chop up. OK, not forever, but about an hour, I'd say. Maybe I'm just rusty.

I think if I made it again in the future, I would chop up everything the night before, then I could make it a lot faster the next day. And I wouldn't mind making it again - it does make an absolute ton of soup, so I'm sure we'll be eating this tasty and nutritious dish all week.


Overall, a success - it wasn't Ina's finest, but then again, it is also one of the healthier Ina Garten recipes I've tried. (Usually she likes to add some butter and whatnot. I guess anything tastes pretty good when you load it up with butter and heavy cream.)

Plus, the scent of the soup cooking was amazing. Sweating out cups of onions and leeks (with garlic) was appetizing indeed. OK, I'm going to go pack this stuff up now - here's hoping I have enough tupperware.

No comments: