Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mojitos!

Last night Dave and I made mojitos to go with our chili salmon and pinto beans. My friend Paul sent me this recipe, which involves mint, sugar, lime, and rum.

First you juice the limes. Dave helped me with that:


The recipe requires one full cup of lime juice, so it took him a while. While Dave was juicing the limes, I muddled some mint sprigs (hah!) in some sugar.


You mix the lime juice with the sugar and mint:


Then add in the rum and stir. I served over ice in cute little Aztec glasses:


I filled each glass, which sounded like a lot at the time, but then I thought, maybe it's not really that much rum, considering all the ice, lime juice, and sugar in there.

No, it was that much rum. It was a LOT of rum. It was at least four to six solid shots of rum in there, I'm not really sure. The point is that after half the glass, I was so shit-faced, I fell on the floor and crawled over to the kitchen to retrieve a chocolate truffle. Then I drank another third of the glass and passed out.

This morning, I was talking with Paul about the recipe. He asked how it turned out, and I said that it was pretty good, but really strong. I described said drunken crawling and general shit-faced behavior from the previous night, and he said he didn't think the recipe was supposed to be that strong.

Then I took another look at the recipe, and apparently I was only supposed to put like a shot or two in the glass, then fill with sparkling soda.

Whoops.

So, basically I mainlined rum last night, and Dave had to pour me into bed. Guess I should learn from this experience and be a little more careful next time, or I might kill a dinner guest someday.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Val, that's the greatest thing ever. Mojitos sound really good, especially your recipe.

Dave looks extremely devious in that picture.

Julie said...

Oh, btw, can you post the salmon recipe too?

Unknown said...

I'm clearly quite maniacal, given that photo of me - perhaps I put another bottle of rum in your mojito mix, eh?

Bwa ha ha...