Saturday, March 7, 2009

Perfect granola

We went to New Lenox to visit the family this weekend, and I made granola with Dave this morning. This is, of course, an Ina Garten recipe, and as usual, it is phenomenal.

First, mix oats and sliced almonds with oil and honey. (At this stage, Ina also uses shredded coconut, but I think coconut is a devil substance.) Toast in the oven.


While the granola base is toasting, mix together dried fruit and cashews. I used all the fruit that Ina called for - apricots, cranberries, and figs - except for cherries. Instead, I just doubled the amount of cranberries.

I had never used dried apricots before, and actually they are really good. As soon as I opened the package, I was hit with the fragrant, citrusy smell of the apricots.


When the granola base is done toasting, you let it cool a bit and then mix everything together. I thought it would be a good idea to mix it all together while it was still sort of hot, because otherwise the honey and oil might dry and wouldn't coat the fruit.


Here's a close-up:


The photos look just like Ina's gorgeous cookbook photos, except I over-baked the granola a tad. I think because I left out the two cups of shredded coconut, there was not enough granola to withstand the 350-degree oven for a sustained period of time.

At any rate, it is delicious; my mom and I couldn't get enough this morning. I think this is a totally do-able recipe for the regular rotation, and I really think this is much more delicious, healthy, and inexpensive than what you can buy in stores. Another win!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I quite liked this granola; it made for a good snack for a week or so afterwards. Val's right - it had a bit of a burnt taste because of the over-baking, but that we kept obsessively eating it all week says something for how good it was in spite of that.