Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chicken Tikka Masala

I have been itching to do this recipe for a while, and here it is. Chicken tikka masala: my favorite Indian-style dish of all time, and the one that introduced me to the world of Indian food deliciousness.

I liked the marinade for the chicken, which was a spicy concoction of yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, black pepper, minced ginger, and salt. (The recipe I used called for a whopping 4 teaspoons of salt, which I thought was ridiculous. So did the commenters, so I used a dash instead.)

This recipe also called for some fancy footwork with regard to timing, because the chicken has to marinate for an hour, but you also need to prepare a sauce and rice that should be complete at the same time the chicken is finished. (I had three out of four burners going at once!)

The sauce was simple: sautee some garlic and jalapeno, then mix in more spices (cumin and paprika), cream, and tomato sauce. There are many different ways to make chicken tikka masala sauce, and I did enjoy this one. The jalapeno certainly gave it a little kick.

After the sauce and rice have cooked a bit, I took out the chicken pieces and put them on skewers to cook on a skillet or grill.


After the chicken is done, put it in the sauce to finish cooking. This is when the drool-factor really begins. At this point, the chicken and sauce is smelling fragrant and spicy.

Serve chicken on a bed of rice. I used brown rice to make this dish a little healthier.


Oh man, this was a good recipe. The jalapeno and cayenne gave it a little Mexican flavor, but the cumin really grounded it in Indian flavor. I think next time I would like to try a recipe that was a little more authentically Indian (even though this may not be a real Indian dish, technically speaking), but it was really tasty.

Oh, and we had some leftovers - Dave and I briefly begged each other to take it to work tomorrow, but I let him have it. Such a lucky hubby!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This meal was as good as anything you'd ever find in an Indian restaurant. Incredible. By the way, when are you making this again, Val? :)