Monday, March 16, 2009

Irish Soda Bread & Herb Butter

Last Friday, my firm had a St. Patty's theme pot luck lunch, so I made whole-wheat Irish soda bread and Ina Garten's herb butter.

I have to say, the Irish soda bread was the easiest bread I've ever made. No yeast, no rising - and it has only five ingredients: whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda (hence the "soda" bread), and buttermilk. Seriously, it doesn't get any easier, and the whole wheat flour makes this bread a lot better for you.


Of course, with the whole wheat bread being so good for you, I had to add something that maybe isn't so health-conscious: herb butter.


This delicious substance was concocted by Ina Garten to spread on smoked salmon sandwiches, but I think it's delicious with anything - especially the Irish soda bread, which is a good, thick bread. (My coworker says the butter is good enough to eat with a spoon.)

You let two sticks of butter sit at room temperature for a while, then mix in the following delicious ingredients:
  • Minced garlic
  • Minced dill
  • Minced parsley
  • Minced scallions
  • Lemon juice
  • Salt
  • Pepper
The result is a savory mix of tangy and salty flavors, which I spread heartily on my bread:


After the pot luck on Friday, I took home the bread and butter because I figured it would probably just go bad over the weekend. We ended up eating it for breakfast on Saturday with an omelette and fruit:


I also had it for breakfast today on the train. Mmm. I'm sure my arteries have had enough of the herb butter over the last couple of days, so maybe it's time for a veggie detox this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm... thick soda bread. I'll admit, I liked the potato bread a bit better, but this stuff is so filling and has great texture - perfect for spreading pretty much whatever you can think of.