Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar night fare

My friend Faron came over to watch the Oscars last night, and I taught her how to prepare a simple meal: Mediterranean barley salad with fruit, cheese and crackers, and martinis.

Faron is not that comfortable with cooking on her own, so I wanted to make a fun and tasty meal with her that was really easy - not to mention healthy! The barley salad is perfect because the barley cooks itself on the stovetop, and all you have to do is cut up the olives and veggies and mix.


Plus, I have been meaning to make this salad for the blog for a long time. It is one of my favorite dishes of all time, and I could eat buckets of it if I could.

In addition to the salad, Faron cut up Florida juice oranges, honey tangerines, and apples, which we assembled and mixed with blueberries and raspberries. (I LOVE our local produce market. Can you tell?)

We also had some Camembert with rosemary and olive oil Triscuits. Mmm.

Along with these healthy things, I felt we should have a cocktail with the Oscar program. I made a citrus martini with the following ingredients:
  • Orange vodka (about a shot and a half)
  • Orange-pineapple juice
  • Guava nectar
The martinis were pretty tasty, and we used them to toast the various Oscar winners.


With all that food, it was a pretty successful meal! Faron left with a better understanding of cooking grains on the stovetop, as well as a desire to consume more fresh fruit. And on my end, I got to share my kitchen with a good friend for an evening. All in all, an evening well spent.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is simply one of my favorite meals these days; it's an old standby for us, and it pleases every time.