Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lemon bars and "sand cookies"

Yesterday was my family's graduation party, which was a total blast, of course. We got a cake and lots of fruit, but I couldn't resist also making some desserts. I made Ina Garten's lemon bars (from Barefoot Contessa Parties) and "sand cookies," also known as Mexican wedding cookies.

Lemon Bars

The lemon bars are made from scratch, contain lots of real lemon parts, and are actually fairly complicated. Like anything else that Ina makes, if it is a lot of work, it is really good and worth the effort. (She doesn't waste her time on mediocre recipes.)

The crust of the lemon bars is my favorite part - so buttery and thick. The lemon filling is easy once you get all the pieces assembled: eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, and sugar. But juicing and zesting a bunch of lemons can be a lot of work.


Nonetheless, the lemon filling always sets up well, and it is so naturally lemony and delicious. I think I cut the pieces a little large for the party - sorry, I forgot to take pictures in the hubub - but they were gobbled up just the same.


The sand cookies are cinnamon cookies that are really soft and easy to make. I call them sand cookies because my old coworkers loved their "sand-like" texture, and I thought the phrase captured them well. I've made them dozens of times before, so I practically have the recipe memorized and it almost never comes our poorly. And they are so dramatic:


I have to say, they are my favorite cookies ever. They were a hit with guests, as they always are.

Other party stuff

Incidentally, I also made a bunch of fruit trays, veggie trays, deviled eggs, and lots of guacamole. The guac was easy - I always use the simple recipe I got from Better Homes & Gardens.

The eggs were tougher, because there were so many of them (for an expected 70 people), and I have trouble boiling eggs at the best of times. So I got 36 eggs, which is a lot:


As much as I love cooking, and as good as I am with a lot of it, it is somewhat embarrassing to admit that I have a lot of trouble boiling eggs. I always have to look at instructions like these and follow them exactly, because honestly I just don't do it enough to really remember it well. (But at least I'm not the only one with this problem.)

I got the deviled egg recipe from my mom, and I modified it a bit. To make the filling, I use the egg yolks, mayo, yellow mustard, Dijon or brown mustard, mustard powder, pepper, and paprika (both in the filling and sprinkled on top). Sorry I didn't get any pictures before they were devoured yesterday; they were pretty.

So it was a really fun party, and hopefully my homemade food added a fun touch. I certainly had fun making it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are basically all of my all-time favorite desserts. That's really all I have to say about that.