Thursday, July 16, 2009

Raspberry vodka finished

Well, the raspberry vodka became ready over the weekend, so today it was time to strain it.

You can see that it's taken on a deep red color:


The red is all the flavor and color from the raspberries. It gives a much more natural, deep flavor than store-bought, artificially flavored vodkas.

To "distill" my vodka, I set up a little contraption involving the vodka's empty bottle, a funnel, a cheesecloth, and a coffee filter.

This setup strains out all the raspberry bits and gets all the liquid out of the berries.

Speaking of the berries... I compare this situation to E=mc(2). If all that red, berry flavor and color enters the liquid, that means that it has left the berries. That makes for some very odd-looking fruit:


Yes, that's pretty gross, but trust me, the vodka is delicious.

And I'll be needing it in the next two weeks - the bar exam is looming! I will not be posting as much toward the end of July, but I'll be back in force in August - especially since I have no job and will be home with a lot of free time on my hands.

No comments: