Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pancake weekend

I tried two pancake recipes this weekend - one old, one new. (One unusual, one typical.) Yesterday morning was zucchini pancakes, and this morning was regular pancakes.

Zucchini pancakes

After I tried the Better Homes & Garden zucchini bread, I've wanted to do Ina Garten's recipe for zucchini pancakes. This recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa at Home.

The pancakes are mostly shredded zucchini, shredded with one of the larger sides of a grater. I bought this zucchini from the Palatine farmer's market the morning that I made it.

Then you add flour, salt, baking powder, pepper, and some eggs. The eggs are special, too, because I recently committed to buying cage-free, organic eggs from local farmers.

Then you scoop the batter into a pan with a mix of butter and olive oil:


They fry up really quickly, though I think I might have left them a little underdone. If you want to make them more round than I did, you could use a metal cookie cutter to pour your batter into in your skillet. But that's probably pretty finicky for vegetable pancakes.


And voila. Like I said, I think I would cook them a little longer next time, because the pancakes were creamy, but maybe a little underdone. But they tasted so fresh, too, because of the fresh zucchini. I can't really taste the difference with the cage-free eggs, but I like to use the happier eggs because of the impact on chickens' lives, and also to support local family farms.

Pancakes

Having done zucchini pancakes yesterday, Dave had a hankering for regular pancakes today. I used the old mainstay recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens binder, and added blueberries to some of them.


Dave asked if the recipe called for "Bisquick." I told him that there will be no Bisquick used in my kitchen!

I also served these with some bacon. The only problem with this morning's meal was that we couldn't find the maple syrup - my thought is that I used it up with the maple-oatmeal scones and forgot to buy more. Oh well. We ate the pancakes with honey and butter and they were delicious anyway. (But I put "syrup" on my shopping list!)

No comments: