Friday, November 27, 2009

Chocolate-dipped strawberries

For Thanksgiving at my aunt's house, I was charged with two dishes: a vegetable and a dessert. For my vegetable, I made Ina's cauliflower gratin, which I made a week or two ago as a test run. For dessert, I made chocolate dip for strawberries, also by Ina.

The chocolate sauce is a delicious mix of flavors, including dark chocolate, cream, and especially orange. The sauce contains some orange zest and Grand Marnier, an orange-flavored liqueur.


We set up some amazing dippers, including strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, and wafer cookies.


It was a nice, light dessert that you could come back to over the course of the evening. The only downside is that I thought it didn't need to be heated constantly, but it pretty much does, or it congeals into a frosting-like texture. The good thing is that you can just keep melting it. (Which we did.)

One of Ina's favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and orange, though I can't say the same for myself usually. However, in this case, the orange flavor was light and delicious, reminding me of the chocolate oranges that my mom likes to get every year at Christmas time. Another winner, Ina.

No comments: