Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lemon meringue pie

I had a nice success with my banana cream pie for the pie party, so I decided to go for it again. But what to make? My choice was easy: a lemon meringue pie for my grandma, who recently gave me my grandpa's Air Force uniforms from his service in Korea. It is her favorite pie, and I wanted to do something special for her.

The pie crust was the same as the banana cream pie - a blind baked pastry shell - and so was the meringue topping. (Both recipes are from my BH&H binder.) However, the middle was a sugar-based lemon filling, complete with lemon juice and zest. Making the filling was funny, because I was stirring the sugar-water mixture for a few minutes until it suddenly seized up and congealed. I guess that's what's supposed to happen, but it was pretty funny when I was making it.


Look at that thing. It is a thing of beauty.

Pies, pies, pies - I think it's time to get back to bread this weekend!

No comments: