Monday, December 7, 2009

Swedish limpa & date-apple coffee bread

I decided it was time to mail out another set of loaves under my bread challenge, so today I made Swedish limpa and date-apple coffee bread to send to a friend. (Of course, I kept a bit for myself, too...)

After a few times of baking two breads at the same time, I like to do a yeast bread along with a quick bread. That way, I can start the yeast bread, and while it rises, I make a quick bread.

The Swedish limpa was very similar to rye, but it had some orange peel mixed in. I set that up to rise and then started on the date-apple coffee bread.

This was a very, very weird bread. You cut up half a pound of dates and soak them in coffee. Meanwhile, you chop some nuts and shred two whole apples. Then you mix it all together, and then mix that with flour.


Yeah, I said it was weird. It looked sort of like I imagine a fruit cake dough looks. When it came out, it just looked like normal bread, though maybe with more texture. (Sadly, I did not get a picture before I shipped it off - whoops!)

After the date-apple bread was done, I was able to conveniently pop in the Swedish limpa - and at the same temperature, no less!

It came out looking like a light rye bread.


I've been really happy that lots of recipes call for rye flour - I bought a bunch from Whole Foods when I made rye bread, and I wasn't sure whether anything else used it. Now I know tons of breads do, including pumpernickel, Swedish limpa, and others on my list!

When I was done, I shipped them off to a friend who had signed up to receive bread as part of my bread challenge. I hope they like them - chances are they've never tried either of these breads before!

I kept one of the loaves of Swedish limpa for myself, and I used half of it to make wild salmon sandwiches with mozzarella, avocado, and a home-made mustard tartar sauce. It was delicious, and I still have half of the loaf for delicious sandwiches for the week. I'm beginning to think that it would be feasible to bake 100% of my own bread, permanently!

No comments: