Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lemon pasta with greens

I hadn't tried any new Ina recipes for a while, so I cracked open Barefoot Contessa at Home and made lemon fusilli with arugula, or, as I made it, lemon shells with chard and collard greens.

The pasta is easy enough - just boil and go. Ina calls for fusilli (although the photo in her book looks more like rotini), but I only had penne and shells. I chose shells.

The sauce is a little more complicated - first you sautee a bit of minced garlic, then add cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice. I think mine is extra lemony because mine were really large. Then you boil that down a bit with some salt and pepper. If you start the sauce and pasta at the same time, they're finished at about the same time, which is nice.

When the pasta is al dente, you drain it and toss it with the lemon cream sauce. If you are using arugula, you toss the greens in off the heat. However, I had a large amount of Swiss chard and collard greens from my CSA box, so I used that, and those greens need a little more cooking down. Then toss with some Parmigiano-Reggiano and you're done.

The finished product looked equally delicious as Ina's version:


Like I said, the sauce was really lemony, but the cream and Parmigiano cuts that acidity a bit. This is a really great way to use up greens, too, and I'm sure I got a ridiculous amount of vitamin C out of this one. Good one, Ina!

No comments: