Monday, July 26, 2010

Zucchini-spice cupcakes

OK, it might be time to start Martha worship like I already perform Ina worship. I moved onto a tantalizing, yet understated little recipe for zucchini-spice cupcakes. I was thinking they'd be like little zucchini breads. But they were so much more.

This recipe used up a lot of dishes. Here are all the separate bowls:
  1. Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
  2. Vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest
  3. 3 cups grated zucchini (Dave helped me here)
You mix in light brown sugar into bowl 2, then add the zucchini, and then mix in the dry ingredients. I was able to mix it all by hand, which was nice. I was amazed that it used so much zucchini, which was good because I have a ridiculous amount in my fridge right now.

Martha calls for you to use her cream cheese frosting, which I did. It involves various not-good-for-you things, namely cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar (plus a bit of vanilla). I guess you can't have a wholly healthy cupcake.


I made them for a coworker's birthday, but Dave and I each had one for breakfast on the train. I was VERY impressed. They were amazingly moist, especially for not having any butter in them. My coworkers went wild for them, too. Some of them were initially suspicious at the healthy-sounding cupcakes, but everyone gave them thumbs up. Score another for Martha!

No comments: