Monday, September 27, 2010

Chocolate zucchini cake

I had a potluck dinner yesterday for friends and family, and for my part, I decided to bring a chocolate zucchini cake.

I still had a zucchini from my parents' garden, so in addition to making my old standby, zucchini spice cupcakes, I wanted to try this recipe that I got from Aunt Sandy.

One thing, though, I am so stupid. I copied down the recipe wrong in at least two places. One was easy to figure out - "1/4 cocoa " is obviously "1/4 c cocoa," not a tablespoon or teaspoon. But then I saw, "1 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. baking soda." Whoops! Clearly one of those was supposed to be baking powder. Looking online, it seems like most chocolate zucchini cakes have more soda than powder, so I went with 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp. baking powder. Sigh.

The cake itself is a typical cake, except you blend sugar & oil, then add eggs, then add dry ingredients. The sugar and oil mixture was pretty gelatinous and gross. But once everything came together, the cake basically looked like my applesauce brownies, or something like a chocolate spice cake.


The ganache frosting was leftover chocolate ganache frosting from something else. I basically took it out of the fridge and let it melt over the warm cake. The end result was a very professional looking (and tasting!) sheen over my cake. The whole thing was so moist and delicious!

No comments: