Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rajmah

Continuing with my Indian kick, and in celebration of a Worf-centric Star Trek bonanza, I made rajmah as part of a meal that included black chickpea curry and chicken tikka masala. It was a very spicy meal that cleared out everyone's sinuses, and making two out of the three of those dishes yesterday in the spice cooker made our house smell like an Indian restaurant. Again. I think I might need to lay off for a while.

Rajmah is red kidney bean curry. It all goes into the slow cooker, allegedly for 12 hours, although I think next time I wouldn't leave mine in for that long. The recipe is pretty fabulously spicy, as you throw the following into the Crock Pot:
  • Kidney beans
  • Water
  • Chopped onion (I used yellow)
  • Small piece ginger, chopped
  • 12 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 8-10 serrano chilies, chopped
  • Tomato paste
  • Cumin seeds
  • Salt
  • Turmeric powder
  • Red chili powder
  • Butter
I officially ran out of chili powder after making this recipe. I have used a lot in the past few weeks!


Everyone liked this, and one person commented that it tasted like a meatless chili, which I agree with. It was an interesting curry, I would just say that I wouldn't let it go so long on high next time, maybe just do it on low heat.

After dinner, I also made some nice pumpkin cupcakes, onto which I spread the remainder of the Bailey's icing. They were pretty popular, if I do say so myself. That Martha knows what she's doing with her cupcakes.

No comments: