Friday, April 29, 2011

Grilled cheese & buttered peas

In the spirit of clearing out my fridge (and saving money), I made grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner the other night, complete with fresh peas for a side dish. The peas came from my CSA, and whenever you have the chance to do fresh (not frozen) peas, you should try them.

The peas are simply blanched in boiling water for 4-8 minutes, then you return them to the empty pot to heat for about a minute in order to evaporate the water so the butter sticks better. I used Smart Balance spread with pepper and salt.

The grilled cheese was whole wheat bread with muenster, complete with grilled jalapenos (yes, two) and chopped onion. I heat the sandwiches in butter. Of course.


I knew the sandwich would be good when Dave came downstairs and immediately started "mmm"-ing at the smells. The sandwich was indeed very good, although I might have over-done it with the Smart Balance. Anyway it was a cheap meal that was delicious and semi-wholesome. Good times.

No comments: