Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pear sorbet

Dave's parents were in town this weekend, and I made dinner last night. We had Swedish meatballs and potato pancakes (in honor of our visit to IKEA, of course), but I was trying to think of something light for dessert. Pears are still in season and I'd been longing for the pear sorbet recipe from my ice cream book, so I went for it.

You peel and core the pears, then throw them into the blender with lemon juice, salt, and sugar syrup (which you make yourself, of course). The ice cream maker worked perfectly, as it tends to do with sorbets. I'm thinking that the texture for the higher fat dishes are what messes the texture up.


It tasted very strongly of pear, brightened with the lemon juice, I think. There's still some in the freezer, so I might have to polish that off soon and make another batch, this time with cabernet instead of water when you make the sugar syrup. (This is a recipe suggested by the book as a variation, and it sounded lovely to me.)

No comments: