Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cupcakes galore

Sorry, long time no post, but I have been crazy exhausted lately from Avon Walk training. No time or energy to cook. But Dave still has fundraising to go, so I helped him out by making some things for a bake sale at his work. I made oatmeal butterscotch bars (which I've made before), carrot cupcakes, and yellow buttermilk cupcakes (both from Martha).

Carrot cupcakes

These delightful little guys contain over a pound of shredded carrots (Dave helped), eggs, oil, flour, spices, and brown sugar. (I don't have the recipe in front of me at the moment, so that's as exact as I can get.) I remember there was ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.

Top with cream cheese frosting (cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla) and homemade toasted coconut, and you have some tasty-looking treats.


I had mine without the coconut, given my strong aversion to this substance, and it was delicious. They were a hit with Dave's coworkers, too.

Yellow buttermilk cupcakes

These little guys got over two cups of buttermilk, flour, vanilla, butter, white sugar, etc. Just like a regular white cake except lots of buttermilk.

Topped with fluffy white icing, which was just butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.


We clearly didn't let the frosting warm up sufficiently after having it in the fridge all night, because it was very hard to spread. They look like coconut cupcakes, or possibly cupcakes that were frosted by a very young child. Oh well. Next time I'll go with my Euro-instinct and just leave it out on the counter all night, butter be damned.

Some of my other relatives made some really wonderful treats for the bake sale, including my mom's zucchini muffins, pumpkin muffins, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies, as well as my grandma's chocolate peanut butter balls. Mmm.


And it all looked so cute spread out like that, with pink ribbons to boot!

Dave's raised $100 or so over the last few days, so it's been a good boost to his fundraising. And now his coworkers are impressed with his food connections, so it's always good to ingratiate yourself with baked goods!

No comments: