Friday, July 29, 2011

Peach ice cream

Oh yes. I did it. I managed to sacrifice some gorgeous, farmers' market peaches for PEACH ICE CREAM. It was tough.

The first thing wasn't to find some peaches - I knew where to find those - but where the heck to find peach nectar. This isn't something I've seen in passing at Dominicks, although it's possibly there, but I wondered whether it would be at my nearby Eurofresh, as they have all kinds of weird boxed juices.

Kaching! And no, I have no idea what the polish says, but on the side of the carton, it said "peach nectar," so I figured that was good enough for me. Incidentally, I did end up helping a Polish woman home with her groceries on this trip, so I suppose I could have checked with her, but I didn't even think of it.

This recipe was a little unusual in that it used the whole egg - not just the yolk. Here are the steps:

Peel and slice peaches and place the pieces in a blender with peach nectar, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until peaches are pureed.

In a bowl, beat sugar into eggs, then beat in flour. (I forgot to add the flour here, so I added it later, and it was fine. Whoops. I have to start actually reading recipes or something.)

Scald some milk, mix into eggs, then pour the whole mixture back into the pan and heat until scalding-ish. Just don't scramble the eggs. (This is when I added the flour.) Strain and pour peaches in. I had a little bit of smudge in my strainer, so I guess I either scrambled the eggs a bit or I didn't get the flour stirred in 100%. I'm guessing it was the latter.

Mix the peach puree and a cup of cream into the milk/egg mixture. Chill and then churn into the ice cream maker!


SERIOUSLY. What have I done to myself, buying this thing? I'm going to die. Someone is going to find me and Dave, months from now, like two Jabba the Hutts. In fact, we may be indistinguishable from each other at that point, and the bunny will be like Salacious Crumb, hiding in our flap folds and laughing at us.

Needless to say, this ice cream was delicious - it had a really light flavor, actually, but you could taste the little frozen bits of peach. That's one thing about the fruit ice creams I make at home, is that the ice cream comes out really soft, but the fruit gets utterly frozen inside. Kind of funny.

Anyway, kudos, ice cream man, kudos. And now that I've made this once, I can hold all the rest of my peaches for fresh consumption. (And maybe a jam before the summer is out...)

1 comment:

jenny said...

the polish says peach nectar :).