Friday, August 26, 2011

Cantaloupe sorbet and plum jam

Cantaloupe basil sorbet

I had some friends over who can't have raw eggs or dairy, so I decided to make a sorbet for dessert. I happened to have a couple of CSA cantaloupe around, so cantaloupe basil sorbet it was! This is another from my Ultimate Ice Cream Book.

Basically you just blend sugar, water, salt, cantaloupe, and basil in the blender until it seems like the sugar is dissolved. Then chill and pour into the ice cream maker!


I served mine with some peach slices. I liked this as much as it would be possible for me to like a cantaloupe sorbet. I really hate melons. But the basil added another dimension to the sorbet, which distracted you from the evil cantaloupe flavor.

Maybe I'll make this again to dispose of the other cantaloupe!

Plum lime jam

It's been a while since I've made jam, so I thought I'd use up some farmers' market plums with plum and lime jam. This is another from Preserve It!

Basically you boil the plums in some water until the fall apart and you remove the pits. Then you add the lime zest, lime juice, sugar, and butter and boil until you reach the setting point.


This jam is a glorious-looking purple and I can't wait to spread it on some toast. I will probably buy a ton more plums at the farmers' market this week because there is a recipe for spiced port and plum jam in the preserving cookbook that I want to use.

No comments: