Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pickins

Dave and I went picking in Valley Orchard and Susie's Garden Patch this morning, and we got tons of good stuff.

First, at Valley Orchard, we got Early Gold apples and four pints of raspberries. There were barely any apples left on the tree, but I'm tall and resourceful and managed to get a fairly large bag. Dave and I pretty much picked their first batch of fall red raspberries, as well as one pint of champagne raspberries.

Over at Susie's, we got a half-bushel of hot peppers:


And a half-bushel of sweet peppers:


And also a dozen ears of corn. As you can tell, yes, this is a lot of fruits and vegetables. I'm planning on freezing some of the peppers right off:


As well as the corn, which will be good in winter, when I'm missing the corn.

For the rest, I'm planning on doing raspberry peach jam and freezing the remaining raspberries. I also want to do pickled banana peppers (i.e., pepperoncini), tomato and pepper chutney, and hot sauce. I am also pondering whether to freeze the jalapenos or make pickled jalapenos, we'll see. Gotta love summer!

No comments: