Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tomato and roasted pepper chutney

I picked a bunch of peppers the other day from one of the farms I like to visit, so I figured I'd do myself a favor and make some chutney with them. There's this recipe I've been eying for tomato and roasted pepper chutney in my preserving book.

First, you roast the peppers in the oven, and the method they suggest is to bake them for 25-30 minutes on 400 degree heat. I found that this didn't really release the skin as well as broiling them, but I guess this is the way you learn.

You puree those with two onions and about 3 lb. of tomatoes. The skins do come off of those much easier if you boil them for 30 seconds or so. I was barely able to fit all of this in my 12-inch pan, so I had to cook it down a bit before I also added sugar and vinegar.

Boil down, boil down, boil down:


It really looked much more like gazpacho than chutney at the beginning, but eventually it did boil down into a sticky, very chutney-looking mass. I was able to fit this into four medium size jam jars. I'm looking forward to having this with some cream cheese or Brie!

No comments: