Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Granola Bars & Pizza

I wouldn't say that I got a copy of the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook for Christmas; a coworker gave me her copy, which was a pre-publication publicity copy for bloggers and recipe testers.  Even in black and white, the photos for this book are amazing, and I can tell that the recipes are, as well.

I have already made the apple cider caramels, which were pretty much the most amazing substance ever.  I decided that I must also try to make my first-ever homemade granola bars, which did not disappoint.


Her ingredient list is like a "what's what" of "amazing ingredients Val loves."  Oats, almonds, dried fruit, honey - even almond butter.  Amazing.  They baked up perfectly and I can tell (by how I wolfed down one bar this morning for breakfast) that I will be making these again and again.  I have also bought more ingredients for other recipes, which I will be making on here soon.

Also, last night I made pizza for dinner, which I haven't done for a while.  I have missed making yeast dough.  The toppings were garlic, sage, olive oil, and gruyère.


First, I made this pizza dough.  (It is the only pizza dough recipe I ever use.)  While it was rising, I sautéed garlic cloves and dried sage.  When the pizza dough was ready and stretched out over the stone, I poured the garlic cloves, roasted sage, and olive oil over the dough.  Then I grated the gruyère over the pizza and put 'er in the oven.

I have to say, of all the pizzas I have made, this was one of my favorites.  So good!  

Making more bread is one of my few new year's resolutions.  I would also like to get back into cooking more often in general, as I feel I have been in a slump in the past few months, at least compared to the pace at which I usually try new or challenging recipes.   Here's to the renaissance of Val!

No comments: