Thursday, March 28, 2013

Beef paprikash

I got this recipe for beef paprikash from a Whole Foods cooking demonstration quite a while ago.  I finally made it for Dave and the boys.  Unfortunately they ate it all before I got home and I forgot to ask Dave to take a picture, so I don't have anything to show here.  But I can tell you that the stew looked a lot like the photo in the link above!

I didn't have any rump roast, so I used chuck roast.  Maybe the chuck roasts I had were a little more full of gristle than usual, but it was hard to trim it and get suitable meat chunks out of it.  But I did, and then I browned the meat in a big pot.  When the meat chunks were browned, I took them out and cooked the veggies in there:  first the onions, then the garlic, then the green pepper and spices (paprika and cayenne pepper).

When the veggies were getting a bit soft, I put in a cup and a half of my 10-hour tomato sauce, as well as some water and "Better than Bouillon," which is like a meat jelly that dissolves in water.  When that gets boiling, you throw the meat back into the pot and boil it for hours and hours.  (2-3 hours to be exact.)

I left some egg noodles out for Dave to make for the guys when he got home, and instructed him to put a dollop of Greek yogurt on top before serving.  They all really liked it; I'm not really sorry I didn't get any because I haven't been eating much meat lately, but I'm glad we are cooking our way through our quarter cow.

No comments: