Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Blueberry crumb cake

Tonight, Dave's buddies are coming over for game night, so I made beef paprikash (will do post later, as I did not get a photo) and a blueberry crumb cake!



The cake was pretty fun to make, as all of Ina's baked goods are.  First you mix white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together, then mix in melted butter, then mix in flour - and you have your streusel topping!  (I thought it was unusual to do a streusel with melted butter rather than cold butter, but hey, it worked out.  It was more sandy, less crumbly than normal streusel.)

Next you make a simple cake batter with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, lemon zest, and sour cream - although I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Add in the blueberries and you are good.  I think my cooking time was a little longer than usual because I used frozen blueberries instead of raw.  Maybe next time I should thaw them first.

If I can get a photo of it tonight before they all devour it, I will show a cross section photo also.  It looked delicious.

Update:  here is a photo of the cross-section!


No comments: