Friday, May 1, 2009

Old-fashioned potato salad

Tonight I made Ina Garten's Old Fashioned Potato Salad, from her Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. It was predictably delicious.

I should preface this post by saying that there have previously only been two potato salads I have loved in my life: my mom's bacon potato salad and Fox and Obel's garlic potato salad. (Patatas aioli at La Tasca isn't too shabby either!) So I wasn't going around looking for a potato salad, but small red salad potatoes were on sale at Dominick's, so I figured it was time to give Ina's a try.

First, the small red potatoes are boiled in their skins to the perfect consistency. I have actually been looking for how to boil potatoes to this consistency, because these taste exactly like my beloved potatoes from Fox and Obel.

You also chop up dill, red onions, and celery (blue bowl in back), and mix up a dressing of mayo, white wine, milk, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, salt, and pepper (blue bowl in front).


It's remarkably easy to make; you just have to wait for the potatoes to cook and cool, and that's really the most time-consuming part.

Next you cut up the potatoes and mix up all the ingredients:


Ohhhh. It looked just like Ina Garten's picture from her book. (My picture is not nearly as beautiful as hers, but I assure you that this is true.)

After Dave and I went for a walk to allow the potatoes to cool, I came back and made myself a heaping plate:


Ohhhhhh man. So good.

I also made a batch of homemade granola, which is delicious as always. Dave and I will be able to eat that glorious amalgam of dried fruit, nuts, and oats for weeks!

No comments: